LOCKHEED MARTIN DEMONSTRATES JADC2 INTEGRATED FIRES CAPABILITY
Joint Fires Network integrates third-party platforms with digital C2 during Northern Edge 2023.
Lockheed Martin successfully demonstrated digital command and control (C2) to synchronize joint all-domain fires during the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command’s (INDOPACOM) Northern Edge exercise near Alaska. The results will help shape future joint all-domain command and control (JADC2) capabilities.
The Big Picture
- All-Domain, Decision Superiority: The Joint Fires Network (JFN) demonstration integrated Lockheed Martin’s 21st Century Security technologies with third-party platforms to provide a persistent and resilient common operational picture across the services and all domains. With JFN, geographically dispersed commanders are able to simultaneously share a common understanding of the battlespace, fed by sensors from any platform, which can provide targeting guidance to any weapons system.
- Synchronized Planning & Execution: The exercise demonstrated the ability to reliably perform C2 functions across all the services, all levels of operation and across multiple domains. This is the first time true joint force synchronization has been demonstrated at this scale, a milestone for JADC2 interoperability.
- Northern Edge is an INDOPACOM-led biennial exercise meant to improve interoperability, mature emerging technology and enhance combat readiness among the services. JFN is INDOPACOM’s vision to demonstrate near-term decision superiority capabilities to enhance joint fires planning and execution.
- Lockheed Martin’s 21st Century Security technologies make up core components of a JFN prototype solution. The system harnesses machine-to-machine integration to speed decision-making and increases targeting accuracy.
- The digital C2 system pairs proven DIAMONDShield™ multi-domain battle management, command and control (BMC2) software with the pedigree of the Virtualized Aegis Weapons System (VAWS) to task assets to perform rapid, simultaneous long-range fires. During Northern Edge, the system successfully integrated with F-35s to deliver timely effects in multiple domains.
- Lockheed Martin facilitated a series of immersive operator training sessions on the C2 system ahead of the demonstration, using a high-fidelity mission simulator to give operators hands-on practice in a classified secret-level, operational-like setting.
- Northern Edge 2023 represents the sixth exercise in which Lockheed Martin has partnered with INDOPACOM to improve interoperability and advance integrated deterrence.
Aligning with the INDOPACOM JFN vision to accelerate allies' and partners' interoperability, Lockheed Martin will participate in the upcoming Talisman Sabre exercise and potentially the U.S. Army’s Project Convergence Capstone Four. The company is committed to advancing JADC2 capabilities and delivering game-changing, innovative technology for the Joint Force.